All of us suffer from stress and worry to differing degrees. Women appear particularly prone to anxiety. Pregnancy, labor and childbirth, and all that follows postpartum, all the hormonal and emotional changes that motherhood entails inevitably bring with them some troubling thoughts. Then later, along come the transitional ups and downs of menopause—all of these highly charged experiences make our sex especially vulnerable to stress.

Major (and minor) life changes (for both sexes) bring with them multiple opportunities to suffer mentally and physically from anxiety. It’s nothing new, yet our busy modern lives leave little time for awareness of how we can best help ourselves to cope in times of stress.

How many of us actually know how to treat ourselves well when we are caught up in a cycle of worry?

Living in the moment

how-to-be-in-the-momentPsychologist Dr. Diane Sanford reminds us in a new book from Praeclarus Press that we spend 80% of our time worrying about the future and the other 20% regretting the past. The here and now gets ignored as we let negative thoughts eat up the present.

In her book, Diane teaches us how by incorporating mindfulness into our lives, we can stress less, and better enjoy everything, simply by being in the moment.

Practicing mindfulness involves paying attention on purpose to the present moment, with self-compassion. Diane provides 5 simple steps that can ease our anxiety, worry and self-criticism by teaching us how to redirect our attention to the moment we are in.

Practicing mindfulness involves paying attention on purpose to the present moment, with self-compassion.

Sounds too good to be true?

Diane is honest when in conversation with Kathleen Kendall-Tackett she admits that following her program is not going to result in experiencing a nirvana. What she does offer, however, is a way to learn easy techniques, using simple regular exercises that take no more than 3 to 5 minutes, so that we can respond with choice to banish anxious or negative patterns of thinking. Through observation and witnessing our own reactions to negative thoughts, we can learn how to cope more effectively, in order to stress less and live better. Start today!

Watch Dr. Diane Sanford in conversation with Kathleen Kendall-Tackett:

Diane Sanford
Dr. Diane Sanford

Mindfulness and Childbirth

Mindfulness and the Goddess Myth

Mindfulness, Women, and Moods

Top 3 Tips for Practicing Gratitude

The Four Pillars of Health

And see:

7 Tips to Save Your Sanity

Just Breathe

Rules of the House

Spring Cleaning from the Inside Out

Mindfulness Ireland

The Mindfulness Network

NEW in store